The couple's bodies, along with their two cats, were found by a friend at their fourplex on Deakin Street, where the couple had lived for seven years, reported the news outlet.
Researchers at the Illinois Institute of Technology warned users against the potential dangers of 3D printers for home use, reported the Chicago Tribune.
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduates had died from poisoning due carbon monoxide in their home, a law enforcement source said on Friday.
The couple was using a laser 3D printer that was venting into their residence, CBS San Francisco Bay Area reported.
Lasers used on types of plastics can emit toxic gasses, including carbon monoxide.